Thursday, February 16, 2012

Silhouette ‘Birds in a Tree’ Wall Art Part 1

I wanted some new wall art for our living room so I decided to do some research to find some different ideas for inspiration.


I finally decided on a project that would spread over two medium sized canvases to create one large image. I love bird watching and parks so I decided that on the two canvases I would attempt to paint silhouettes of birds on branches. I also did not want a traditional white background so I used Mod Podge to create a funkier background with some pages from a book.


Here is a step by step for you! I'll start with a How-To on the funky canvas backgrounds for Part One and in a second post I will show the steps for the bird and branch silhouettes in Part Two.


SUPPLIES:  

  • 2 Plain Canvases
  • A Jar of Mod Podge (I chose Matte because I didn’t want my final project to be glossy but either would work!)
  • A book that you can cut up (I know, it made me uneasy too!)
  • An X-Acto Knife
  • A Rubber Roller
  • A Sponge Brush






DIRECTIONS:


1) Get a book to cut up. I went to Half Price Books (check out their website! you can find great coupons and great books for alot cheaper, just follow this link... Half Price Books). I found a neat one! It was an old 'Slang' dictionary and it had some really funny definitions in it. Now, cut out pages that you want to use along the inside spine of the book with the X-Acto Knife. These will become the background of your painting so try to pick ones full of text or with interesting information on them and make the cut as straight as possible.


2) Chose a layout for the pages, you want them to overlap and entirely cover the canvas. Lay it out first to decide what you feel looks best. *Make sure you wrap pages around each edges too so the sides of your canvases aren't blank.


3) Take your Mod Podge and the sponge and start to coat both sides of the pages and lay them on the canvas in the spot you designated. Mod Podge is basically glue so be careful! Once you place it, it isn't come up!


4) After placing each piece you are going to want to individually smooth them out. Sometimes, when laying a page, you will trap air bubbles that need to be released. After using the rubber roller (it is actually a Mod Podge product) and rolling it over each page, you shouldn't have a problem with the bubbles.


5) LET IT DRY! This may take awhile but you can't do anything until your piece is dry.


Once you're done your canvases should look similar to this...





Ta-da! Part one COMPLETE!


I was going to use a novel written in French for the background instead of the dictionary pages...What are your ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment